Founded in 1974, Thrivalaska is a community-based non-profit corporation. We are committed to the delivery of quality services to children, families and providers. Thrivalaska is a United Way member agency and a Pick.Click.Give. donor agency.
Thrivalaska’s mission is “Helping Children and Families Thrive” by providing high quality infant, toddler, preschool and school age care and education using developmentally appropriate practices. We are a learning organization for children and adults where children, families, and staff are valued. We advocate for children, families, and staff by providing resource, referral and Child Care Assistance services to families. As a community based corporation we are actively involved and contribute to the early childhood profession.
High quality, family-focused services that advocate for and strengthen children, families and staff.
At Thrivalaska we believe children learn best and through their senses and “by doing.” Staff are responsible for establishing and maintaining safe environments, with independence, cooperation and active participation.
- Individual attention, good nutrition and healthy habits are included as part of our daily routine.
- We believe in providing developmentally appropriate activities and offering nurturing care for young children. Each group’s routine includes a variety of activities with particular emphasis on the skills and interests of that stage of development.
- Parents and volunteers are always welcome in our classes.
- We enjoy the diversity of cultures in our community. Children, parents, staff, families and friends are encouraged to share traditions and family culture through a variety of languages, stories, books, dance, music, food, games, artifacts, art, field trips, etc.
- Our programs are part of our larger community and we participate in community events to provide an example and opportunity for children to learn about good citizenship. At Thrivalaska we recognize we have a responsibility to advocate for the needs and rights of families and we encourage families to become actively involved in supporting issues important to them.
Thrivalaska Programs and Services
- School Age Program – 479-5437 – Providing before and after school care for children 5-12 years, licensed for 50 children, located at Pearl Creek Elementary during the school year.
- Head Start – 452-4267 – Serves children 3 – 5 years, free center-based program, Monday through Thursday includes family support services. Located at 1949 Gillam Way in Fairbanks.
Serves 90 children in 4 hr day program, 9 months
Serves 18 children in 6 ½ hr day program, 10 months
Serves 18 children 10 hr day program, 12 months (for families working or going to school full time)
- Early Head Start – 452-4267 – Serves children Birth to 3 years old, free center-based program, Monday through Thursday, includes family support services. Full day, full year program. Serves 16 children. Located at 1949 Gillam Way, Fairbanks.
- thread/Resource & Referral – 479-2214 – Child care resources and referrals are located at 1908 Old Pioneer Way. Services available to providers, parents, students and educators who work with young children. Referral services assists families in finding child care in our community.
- thread/Child Care Assistance – 479-2212 – The CCA office is located at 1949 Gillam Way. Providing Child Care Assistance services for qualifying families in the Fairbanks service area.