Youth Services Departments at the Fairbanks North Star Borough Public Libraries
The Noel Wien Library’s Youth Services Department provides a place for children and teens from birth to 18 years old to learn, explore, and enjoy literature through a wide variety of materials and programs.
Noel Wien Library Youth Programs and Activities:
Most programs are held in the Berry Room Storytelling Area. Some Programs are held in the Library Auditorium. ALL PROGRAMS ARE FREE OF CHARGE!
- a short rhyme, story, and activity time for babies and toddlers 23 months or younger, and a parent or caregiver, is offered four times a month. Three are offered on various days at 10:30 a.m.; one is offered on a Tuesday evening at 6:30 p.m. No registration is required. This is an excellent opportunity to develop your child’s early literacy and socialization skills, and a wonderful networking opportunity to meet other parents in the community.
Parents and Twos:
- a sweet little storytime for two-year-olds and a parent or caregiver. Four four-week sessions are offered most months on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. The storytime lasts approximately 30 minutes in a small group setting. Monthly registration is required.
- a storytime for 3 to 5 year olds, offered during the fall, winter and spring on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. and Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. Call the library for information on the summer schedule. Registration is not required.
- an evening storytime for 3 to 10 year olds, offered once a month on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. (may be offered on a different day of the week in the summer). Pajamas, slippers, and your favorite stuffed animal are welcome. This is a great way for parents and children to end their day together. No registration is required.
Summer Reading Program:
- The library offers a free eight-week summer reading program for children and teens from 2-18, featuring weekly incentives, programs, prize drawings, and a free book at the end of the program.
School break activities:
- The library offers a variety of activities for children during the winter and spring school breaks, including drop-in crafts, themed drop-in play days, special programs, movies, puppet shows, and more.
- Throughout the year, programs such as concerts, live performances, special presentations, and themed programs are offered for a variety of ages.
Teen and young adult programs:
- The library offers special programs for middle and high schoolers during the summer reading program, including the ever popular Mystery Night, as well as some programs during the school year. In addition, the library celebrates Teen Read Week in October.
Youth Materials at the Noel Wien Library:
- Board books for very young children
- Picture books, including award-winning Caldecott books
- Books for beginning readers
- Chapter books in a variety of genres, including award-winning Newbery books
- Young adult literature, including award-winning Printz books
- Large print books for youth
- Books in foreign languages (located in the non-fiction section)
- Audio books (books on tape or CD, “Playaways,” and downloadable books from ListenAlaska)
- Books containing printed text and a CD
- Downloadable ebooks
- Videos and DVDs
- CD-ROM educational software
- Music audio CDs
- Non-fiction books
- Paperback browsing collection
- Visual Literature such as comics and manga
- Children’s magazines
- Children’s reference books
- Children’s booklists
Group Visits & Field Trips:
The library welcomes visits by public school, private school, and homeschool groups, daycares and preschools, scouting and church groups, education classes, and other groups interested in children’s programs and literature. The Berry Room can provide tours, storytimes, book discussions, and more. Contact the Berry Room staff at (907) 459-1052 or email BerryRoom@fnsblibrary.us to schedule a visit. 2-4 weeks advanced request is needed to schedule group visits.
The North Pole Library Branch:
The North Pole Branch Library also offers a variety of programs and materials for children.
Noel Wien Library
1215 Cowles Street, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
(907) 459-1020 (Noel Wien Library main) (907) 459-1052 (Youth Services Department)
North Pole Branch
656 NPHS Blvd., North Pole, Alaska 99705